Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

12/02/10 (2.7 mi, 10:36 pace)

I know that in my life I usually end up doing quite a few things backwards.

For example, my hubby doesn't believe me when I say I sleep cooler if I sleep with jammies on. Seriously. Sleeping in my birthday suit, I'll sweat myself out of bed. You could cook an egg on my core. Sleeping with tshirt and shorts, I'm nice and cool.

Odd?

Probably.

I hate crunchy peanut butter.. Why? Soft sandwiches should NOT have little surprise crunches. For that same reason, I also prefer my jello sans fruit. Actually, fruit in general is out. Soft foods crunching makes my skin crawl. And all of my baked good shall henceforth be female, not male (no nuts). And don't even get me started on escargot (shudder).

But, I LOVE LOVE LOVE potato chips on my pbj sandwiches.

Odd?

I suppose.

People say it's harder to run outside than it is to run on a treadmill. The treadmill is moving, helping to pull your feet back, moving the ground under you, instead of you passing over the ground....blah, blah, blah.

I'm finding that it's sooooo much harder to run on a treadmill than outside. I'll run a 5K without stopping to walk...but when running on a treadmill (at my 10:00 mile pace - ish), I have to take a one minute walk break every couple of minutes.

Odd?

Most definitely.

So....after slogging through my 30 minute run, I hit the weights. I won't be running again until my long run this weekend, so I focused on my lower body this morning. Leg presses, leg extensions, leg adduction and abduction. 3 sets of each, with varying weights.

It felt GREAT to get back to the gym and do some weight training.

ANOTHER thing I never thought I'd hear myself say!!!

2010 has been full of soooo many firsts. I wonder what 2011 will hold???

7 comments:

Faith Ann said...

Ha! I agree with you on so many points in this post lol.

I run slower on the treadmill if I want to avoid walk breaks. I think it's harder to maintain a constant, steady pace than it is to run "naturally" outside.

My husband who *never* takes walk breaks and runs *much* faster than I do, even takes frequent breaks on the treadmill.

Heidi said...

Yes, potato chips on PB&J ... very odd. HAHA. Humans are a bunch of funny ducks, aren't they?

I find running outdoors easier too. People used to tell me that I couldn't compare my treadmill time to my road time. That the treadmill would be faster. Not the case for me. Also I think the treadmill is stupid boring so that probably doesn't help.

Nej said...

@ Faith Ann & Heidi - So glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks the treadmill is worse, not better!

And yes....gouge my eyes out boring as well!! :-)

Fran said...

I'm with you and Heidi. I'm faster outside than on the treadmill too and I like it more.

I think running outside is more challenging because you have to deal with the weather too. The treadmill is harder because it it so boring.

Like you I can't run longer than 10 minutes on the treadmill and then I need a break. The first few times I was disappointed at myself but I got over it.

Nej said...

@ Fran - I set out to run intervals today....2 min run/1 min walk. I figured if I'm going to take walk breaks, I may as well structure how I'm going to do it. The last 3 intervals of running I increased the incline from 0 to 4. I was really feeling it by the end of those 2 minute runs! I'm going to experiment with adding more incline as an added challenge. Heck, I can probably even call it hill training once my incline gets high enough. :-) :-)

Anonymous said...

I am way way way less motivated on the treadmill. I just don't like it. Before I started running outside, I thought I preferred it, but now that I've experienced the outdoor runs, I cannot wait to get back to it. Sadly, I think it will be several months. :(

You have strange eating preferences. :)

Nej said...

@ Lori - My eating preferences....oh, you have no idea how strange they are. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I was raised by a very picky eater...and I'm suffering for it now. :-)

I loved running on the treadmill, before I was cleared by my doc to run outside. After that happened, I never wanted to go back. I can handle my 30 minute mid week runs....but heaven help me when I have to start taking my long runs inside as well. I'll need a cell with padded walls for sure! :-)