Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

08/04/10 (2 mi, 10:01 pace)

Today was my short easy run. And, I can honestly say it felt short, and easy.

Well, easier than my 4 mile runs, or my long weekend run.

But ask me how easy it felt with .25 miles left to go...and I might have thrown something at you, were it already in my hand and not too heavy to heave. :-)

It's getting darker and darker each morning. Debating either running with my small runners headlamp on, or finding a reflective vest. There aren't any sidewalks in any of the neighborhoods I run during the week, so I don't run with any music. Gotta keep my eyes and ears alert for those (few and far between) approaching vehicles.

Today, as I was running up the first hill, the streetlight along the way goes out.

Why does this happen? Some sort of backwards motion sensor? "Quick, here comes someone that needs light, shut off...quick!!!"

I'm getting used to it, and it's ceasing to be creepy. But now it's just plain annoying.

Anyway...the light goes out....and I see a flash of white in the middle of the road up the hill and around the corner from me.

Just a quick flash of white.....but nothing else. It was the height of a person, not a cat or dog....but it went away immediately.

I stayed on the lookout, but kept running.

Eventually I saw it again, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!

It saw me when I saw it. I gasped, and it took off running. The sound of hooves hitting the ground in quick succession.

A deer...a huge male buck, to be specific...had been standing in the middle of the road watching me get closer and closer.

It was just the adrenaline rush I needed to power me up the rest of the hill without slowing. (giggle)

4 comments:

Brook said...

and you without your camera! Dangit!

Nej said...

That's exactly what I was thinking. :-)

Heidi said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog.

That would totally creep me out! I don't think I could run in the dark. But yeah, you might want to get a headlamp and/or a vest ... and maybe some sort of knife or bear spray or something ;)

Nej said...

@ Heidi - after the deer ran away, I was thinking hunter orange, and maybe an Elmer Fudd hat. It was an impressive animal, but in the dark, it was spooky, and majestic...at the same time. :-)