Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

08/11/11: Yoga for Runners, week 3 - back bends

Nothing like a good yoga class to remind you of how weak you really are. :-)

Specifically, my upper body.

For the longest time, I was nervous about my shoulder. I had reconstructive surgery on it about 5 years ago, and it's now solid as a rock. But, it was bad for 18 years, and I've had a hard time getting to where I trust it.

I do trust it now, completely.....but it's very weak. Actually, they BOTH are very weak.

And, after the rough couple of weeks I'd had, I think I hit my emotional breaking point in the middle of class.

I mean, I was near tears.....for no real reason. Sure, I was frustrated....but that's not a big deal. It apparently, though, was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.

Mot knows when I've hit this point.

I get uber quiet. I don't want to talk, I don't want to be talked to. I just need to process things out in my head a little, then move on to the next step.

Getting mad.

This is usually where the tears show up, to be honest.

Then, I get over it, and move on with life.

I talked to the instructor after class. We talked about my surgery a little, then she gave me suggestions on ways to modify the poses I was having trouble with, until the strength is built back up.

I'm taking this class to get stronger, to regain some flexibility that running has hindered, and the stress relief aspects are the cherry on top.
___________________________________________________

1:31:02, 481 calories, Max HR 158, Avg HR 101

No comments: