Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

03/18/11: Shake Your Shamrock Virtual 7K



Linzi @ Beyond Destination 26.2 and Aneta @ My Running Bucket are hosting a Shake Your Shamrock Virtual Run and you know me, I signed up the minute I heard about it.

The rules were to run either a 7K or a 13K.
Wear green.
And complete it between 03/17 and 03/20.
(There's still time if you want to sign up and run!!!)

I was planning on getting up yesterday morning...but failed miserably. My comfy bed won the battle. :-)

This morning was another story. I was awake a few minutes before the alarm went off. I had my gear all laid out. And the weather is still as gorgeous as ever.

Since running 7K is an unusual distance for me, I sat down at the computer earlier this week to map out my 4.34 mile route. Today technically only called for a 3 mile run on my schedule....but adding a little extra seemed perfectly fine. :-)

A few blocks from home I scared three large deer from a neighbors garden. The three of them went thundering down the road, heading east...upset I'd rustled them from their breakfast.

After I'd been running about 10 minutes or so, I looked down at my Garmin and noticed it was telling me I had run 1.92 miles.

In 10 minutes??

Crap! I'd taken the dogs for a walk a couple nights before, and hadn't reset it. Whoops. :-)

As I'm looking at my Garmin, I'm not watching where I'm going. Suddenly those SAME three deer go flying across the road in front of me. They probably thought I was following them.

The rest of the run was pretty uneventful. Tomorrow is the full moon, so I only needed to turn on my headlamp in a few places. Most of my run was protected from the wind...but in the few spots I wasn't protected, I was running directly into it. (my luck)

When I plugged the ol' Garmin in after I'd returned home, I found I did a little more than the 4.34 needed. I'd gone 4.7 (7.56 K). Close enough. :-)


Me and my green before jumping into the shower and heading to work.


Post race recovery drink of choice. Chocolate milk!!!!!!

Average overall pace, 11:12 pace. (elevation gain 432, elevation loss 472 - I live on a big hill...surrounded by other big hills...there are no flat routes)

Linzi, Aneta...thanks!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Fran said...

You look great, already running in shorts? I don't even have them but in Summer I wear capri's but now I'm still running in my long tights.

Well done on the run. You probably thought first "damn I'm fast" :lol:

Nej said...

It was 34 degrees when I headed out this morning. Since I wear those compression sleeves on my lower legs, there isn't much skin on my legs exposed. :-)

I LOVE the colder weather...so it was plenty warm enough to pull the shorts out for the run today! Hopefully I won't need to run in tights any more this year. (knock on wood)

When I saw 1.92 miles, I just stared at it for a while. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. :-)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE your green outfit! And chocolate milk is my favorite! Although I never think to drink it after a run, I need to do that more often. Congrats on a great run!

Anonymous said...

loooove the outfit. are those green compression socks???? if so, that is friggin fantastic! hahahha

thnx for participating~

Nej said...

@ Linzi - When I first started running, my aunt told me she drinks a glass of chocolate milk after a run. I'll take any excuse to be able to drink it!! :-)

@ Aneta - yep! Well, they're kinda neon green/yellow....but it was close enough for me. (hehehe)

Anna P said...

My fav. recovery drink too! Good job on the pace, love your green! =)

Nej said...

@ Anna - my hubby says I only run for an actual excuse to drink chocolate milk every day. (giggle)