Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

03/20/2012

Yoga was great last night, as always!

I bought a natural rubber mat some months back, because I slide around too much on the regular ones you can buy at Target, etc. But last night's class had me sweating so badly, even the rubber mat was slicker than snot. I think I'm going to have to end up getting a towel to go on top of it. I nearly face planted a couple of times because of it.

You know you're a heavy yoga sweater, when you can hear the sweat drip drip dripping on the mat below you.

Yuck!!!

I was asked, this week, if I was interested in getting my yoga teacher certification.

I'll be honest, I hadn't ever thought about it. Not that it's something I wouldn't want to do....but I hadn't given it a thought because I'm still so new to the practice.

But now that the seed is planted....it's taking root.

Taking root, growing leaves...and will be attracting butterflies in no time.

It's not free, by any means....so it's something I really need to give serious thought to before diving in head first (like I usually do). She is still working out the details, so I don't have any firm dollar amount...but she gave me a ballpark to plan for.

Tom's eyes may or may not have bugged out of his head when I told him (giggle).

After I graduated high school and a couple of years of college, I stopped taking the dance lessons that had filled 18 years of my life. I've missed it ever since. It was a great workout, there were goals, and I had so much fun!!! I wasn't a rockstar at it, but I could do everything that was asked of me and enjoyed it every step of the way.

Yoga reminds me of those dance lessons in so many ways. It's almost as though it's filling the hole dancing left. (as crazy as that sounds) The structured movements, the breathing and flowing, the strength and flexibility required, and the challenge of learning new things....

......including those that scare the crap out of me.

Like, for instance.....inversions of any kind. Headstands, handstands, etc. It appears I have a fear of being upside down. I got on "doctor Google" to see what I could find about it. There doesn't seem to be a scientific name for the fear, that I can find.....but there are entire message boards devoted to the topic.

Who knew????

Anyone who knows me knows I love to kayak.....yet I'm terrified of water. So practicing yoga even though I have a fear of being upside down...well, it's not really a stretch.

I know I enjoy what I'm doing because I WANT to do headstands and handstands. I want to work on it at home, when no one is looking, and I can pad the crash zone. I know I'm hooked when I sit at work trying to figure out where there is open wall space in my house for inversion practice. (there really aren't any)

:-)

One of these days, there will be a picture of me on this blog, doing a rockin' awesome inversion. I promise you that!!!!!!

1 comment:

Faith Ann said...

That's very exciting!

My favourite pilates instructor was working on her yoga teacher certification when she was teaching our classes. It sounds like a lot of work, but very rewarding!

I'm not a fan of inversions either. Not because I'm scared of being upside down, I just don't like them!